Interview Tips from Nonners

Hey everyone,

This post is semi- not jewelry related. I just wanted to share with you some very helpful interview tips (just so you all have an edge when you interview for that dream job.) : )

As some of you may already know, my childhood friend Whitney (aka Nonners) has recently started blogging more and making youtube videos of her interests or requests. Her current full time is to interview potential candidates for different positions in whichever company it is that is hiring.

I thought this would be a great video to share with you all since I know some of my readers are going through the time in their life where they could use a few pointers on how to ace that first interview. Especially in the United States right now, it's a dog eat dog corporate world. People are losing their jobs, and getting laid off right and left. That also means there is a huge pool of talent that is COMPETING with you to get hired. In this video, which Whit posted today she's going to give you a few good examples of how to answer those hard interview questions. If you have any questions for Whitney, drop by her blog, leave her a comment or comment in her youtube video, and I know she can get back to you when she can. She's very helpful & friendly (most days). So you better hope it's one of those good days. jk :P



Whitney has a lot of great connections to the corporate world even though she's just turned 23 years old. She's very intelligent, confident, and POWERFUL. lol jk the powerful, but anyhow here's a POWERFUL HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHOUT OUT TO NONNERS!!!
5 STARS cause it's Whitney's birthday!

Her father is a very successful entrepreneur (and MSU alumni just like me & Whit!), lets just say some big time company CEO's are his best friends. Whit always tells me these stories of how one of the CEO's wife has an elevator in her closet up to her jewelry closet. Isn't that sweet? I didn't even know people did that! haha, but I guess when you're family is ballin' anything is possible.

The coolest part is that we're all MSU Spartans : ) GO GREEN!


Growing up together Whitney & I never really thought about the corporate world, or any careers in general. All we really cared about was who was cuter Babu or Blue Bear stationary (since 6th Grade Middle School through Senior Year College, I think cute stationary was our favorite topic). lol

Now that we're grown, and both in the real world now ~ we both realize how important knowledge really is to be successful. And to take that first step towards your career, you need to know how to interview for a corporate job. Whitney points out a very important interview question in this video. "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" I was laughing so hard at what she said because it's true...interviewee's do talk about starting a family. FAIL!


The DSK Earrings that Whit had on were these,
"14K Cream Pearl Love Baits"
14K Gold-Filled Love Bait Earrings
Swarovski Pearls
Antique Gold Bows
$32









Whitney didn't address this yet, but I will. You also need to dress the part, GUYS, NO KHAKIS & BUTTON DOWN SHIRTS WITH NO TIE. WEAR A SUIT BLACK OR BLUE WITH TIE. PREFERABLY BLACK! I had a lot of friends in college who were Engineering majors, now Engineers...and I could not believe they were never taught then how dress professional. In the business classes, the different kind/styles of professional dress was drilled into our minds! Definitely, important that's why they emphasized how to dress appropriately for an interview.

ALSO, LADIES, NO OPEN TOE SHOES (EVER) at an interview. Do not wear hoop earrings and try to avoid dangling earrings ( you basically want to try to avoid wearing anything that will distract your interviewer or yourself ). You don't want to play with your earrings without knowing. Whitney is wearing dangles earrings (DSK in fact ;)) but she's the interviewer, not the person who is being interviewed. Pearl studs are very appropriate, they just make you look polished. No tight clothing, no cleavage, no red nails or lips! French tip nails, or neutral / natural nail polishes. Do not wear dramatic eyeliner, or colorful eyeshadow. You should aim to look conservative. They will see your personality when you speak. & ALWAYS WEAR A WATCH! I know of some companies who will throw away our resume after you leave if you didn't wear a watch to the interview.
Unless stated, all interviews are business professional.
Every look dapper in a suit, so dress for success : )


I hope this post is helpful for some.
Thanks Whit for making this video, I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate your generosity!
It's not everyday someone gives you "free" advice.

I completely forgot about DECA! lol
Thanks for reminding me Anie!
I competed at State in 2004 : )
I created a business plan for a Spirit Store for my high school.
I didn't win 1st, but I did get a certificate, I forgot what it was lol.
I just remember having to present in front of 4 judges, and selling myself and my plan!


Thanks for visiting!
I'll post new pieces soon!

Love,

Steph

P.S. Yes, I will be flying Whitney out when it's time for DSK Jewelry Company to hire employees (one day) !

P.S.S. Holly just texted me, she posted a new video on Travel Brushes and is wearing my DSK "14K Pearl Cream Pearl Love Baits" ::HEARTS:: aww Check her out! 5 STARS!
If you don't know who Holly Ann-AeRee is...then you don't DSK Jewelry! :P

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.