ABS February Challenge

by Barbara Lewis 


I was so inspired yesterday by Erin Prais-Hintz's post at Art Bead Scene about their February Challenge based on a painting by John Singer Sargent called "Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose" that I could not let the month go by without submitting something.  It's not only a beautiful painting but the colors are some that I've been working with in the studio.  Before I go further, here's the bracelet I made for the challenge.  It's a piece I call, "In the Meadow" and it allowed me to play with some goodies I brought back from Tucson ... and I swear making it today lowered my blood pressure ... but more on that later.  


"In the Meadow" ...
Green Girl flower dangle and toggle, rose crystal, labradorite, torch-fired enamel, and beryl


"In the Meadow" (detail)
Down at the end of my aisle at To Bead True Blue was a young lady named "Kia."  I could have buried myself in her pile of beads and never come out.  She cuts all of the stones herself.  These little pale aqua stones accenting the laboradorite are a small part of a set of beryl stones I bought from her.  She explained a lot about beryl but what I remembered of what she said was that aquamarine, emerald, and morganite, etc. are all part of the beryl family.  The tear-dropped and faceted abacus stones will appear in a future piece, but these little ones seemed perfect for this setting.


This is the first time I've worked with Green Girl components and I LOVE THEM!  Wow!  What took me so long ...  The torch-fired enamel is a new color that we're presenting for the Spring called "Old Lace."  It's perfect for any time of year, really ... it is sooo feminine ... like a vintage tea rose.  Contact me for more information on specials we'll be running on our new beads ... while I get the information on line at our website.


I haven't had a chance to make jewelry in weeks ... As much as I love enameling beads and other components, when I "create" jewelry, I lose myself.  It's a state of relaxation that I cannot achieve easily, which is why I need to do more of it!  On March 17, I have a Trunk Show of sorts at Buttons, Bangles and Beads on Historic Corey Avenue in St. Pete Beach.  If you're in the area from about 11 a.m. to about 4 p.m., we can talk shop, you can pick my brain on enameling, everything I have is yours.  I'm sure this bracelet will be accompanying me. :-) 

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.