guest post - nan emmett


Thank you for inviting me to share a little about myself and my work on the LMAJ blog.
I've always loved making things and have experimented with a variety of materials and techniques ranging from crochet, sewing, knitting, painting, metalsmithing, stained glass, and ceramics.
Beading and ceramic bead making is a relatively new venture for me, however I have quite a long relationship with clay. An elective course in ceramics spirited me away from a painting major and I've never looked back.


                                           This is what I was making before beads-ceramic rattles

I think clay is one of the loveliest materials, there is no end to the things you can make with it,and it readily accepts the mark of your hand, something I find especially beautiful.
My beads and pendants are created from a variety of clay bodies,earthenware ,stoneware and sometimes raku,  which are quick bisque fired, in little Skutt kilns. The clay pieces are then glazed with a layered Majolica type technique and returned to the kiln for the final firing.
                                             
Most of my past ceramic work would fall into the sculpture category and I think that carries over to my clay jewelry components, as well.

    Bisqueware

Glazed

I've often described my work as possessing a Wabi Sabi quality, though I'm not certain if that is exactly correct, perhaps it's more about embracing spontaneity, not over thinking the piece. I try to feel what the pendant wants rather than having a mapped out plan, and if things turn out a little wonkie, it's ok.
There is something very delightful about the imperfect. An unexpected, irregularity excites the eye and compels you to look closer. Imperfection holds a little bit of magic, and I hope I can bring some of that magic into my little wearable works of art.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

you can learn more about nan at these places:









Category Article , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.