What I like about making art beads


By staci L. smith



Let me start by saying that I am still new to bead making.  I only started making beads to sell last spring.  I took that big jump, from just making them for my jewelry designs, to making them for everybody else to use, and you know what, it wasn’t easy.  I was afraid no one would buy my jewelry anymore.  I was afraid people would steal my designs.  I was afraid to take on another direction.  But I swallowed hard, put fear aside, and jumped.  Guess what?  I made the right choice.  I am loving this adventure.
Purple Haze- having fun with paints on these hearts

So, here is what I love about making art beads.






1.  They are each a little piece of art all their own.  This allows me to produce more art, more often.  (this is also why I tend to collect art beads from other artists- it’s art collecting, right?)

2.  Because I get to produce more art, more often, I get to try more things, and it keeps me stimulated, I never get bored making beads, like I would sometimes get stringing them.

3.  I don’t have to know what to make.  I can just create, and know someone will find the perfect use for it.  No planning needed.  Total muse, all the way.

4.  I get to paint.  Whether I am painting polymer and getting messy, or putting a patina on some copper and brass, I totally get into the color portion.

5.  I get to see what others envision for my beads.  This is the best part.  I get to see what others do, and it may not be something I would have thought of, and it’s like we just collaborated.  I made a bead, and they brought it to life.  ( I have a flickr group where you can upload jewelry made with my components, so please share, I’d really love to see what you made)
This was an experiment that turned out well- polymer and metal brought together


I could go into a million little details of what I like about it, but that’s it for now.

As I am getting ready for my first bead show (deep breath) in March, I found myself making lists of what I should make, how many, and on and on.  It was all getting very stressful.  (That is actually what prompted this post.)  What I love about making beads most is the freedom.  I think my beads reflect that, and they are new every time because of that.  So I can’t go and try to make so many of this, and so many of that, because I think they will lose something.  So I am off to play.  It’s a little scary, but I think it will all work out, and whatever I take to the show will be good enough.

So I leave you with these questions…………………

Do you make art beads?  If so, what do you love about it?

Do you collect art beads?  Why?  Who?

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.