New Friends - A Good Day

This afternoon as Ethan and I got off the elevator during a visit to the ocularist, there was a man sitting on the bench by the elevator with his little girl. As I glanced over at them, I could see she, like Ethan, had her lenses out, and since Ethan had his white cane in hand as we got off the elevator, the man could see we, too were members of the "Planet of the Blind."

It's always nice going to Randy Trawnik, the ocularist's office. Everyone's there for the same reason and is relieved not to have to explain to anyone or ignore rude looks; we're all in this together.

The dad and I struck up a conversation, and as it turns out, he, his wife, and their three kids moved to Austin (the only good place in TX [I can say that 'cause I was born here]) and his m-i-l lives with them, as well. I thought maybe with a three year-old who's blind, he might need and/or appreciate some helpful resource info, but it turns out his wife was a pedi- nurse, so they quickly got their ducks in a row, and moved out of Nevada as soon as he could get a company transfer!

But the best news to me...

the parents and the m-i-l all read braille! I was so happy to hear that, I tool off the alphabet bracelet I was wearing (no, not a sterling one!) and gave it to him to give to his wife for me. In those early days, Eric and I kept wishing we could find people who felt the same way we did, and we did meet a few, but not so many when Ethan was younger. I guess that's more due to the increased Internet connectivity.I love running into people who get it; don't you?!

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.