Unconventional Tools

by Izzy Winterhart


A week or so ago, I had a battle with one of my tools and the tool won.
It was one of those days, that had I used my brain, 
probably wouldn't have happened.
I hadn't been feeling well the first few days of the week, 
both physically and emotionally.
For three nights I got very little sleep.
I thought a day in the workshop would make me feel better.

Not so.

I now have a sign in my workshop that reads
"Sleep deprived not allowed".
Entering my shop bleary eyed was the first of many mistakes I made that day.

An idea for a pair of earrings has stewed in my head for weeks now.
I was thinking this day would be the best time to give birth to that idea.
I chose a heavier gauge of copper to work with.
Mistake number two.
I couldn't find my heavier hammer, so I used my lighter hammer.
Mistake number three.
Placed it in my disc cutter and started hammering.
Whack, whack, whack.
Not working.
So I whacked harder.
The cutter seemed to be moving a bit, so I held it with my left hand.
Mistake number four.
I then whacked my thumb.
Right on the knuckle.
It swelled immediately.
Tears filled my eyes.
Words, I won't repeat, filled my mouth.
I seriously thought I had broken the bone.
I went inside, sought sympathy from my hubby and quit for the day.

That day my husband came up with an idea to use a jack press with the disc cutter.
Brilliant!
I would buy a Bonny Doon Press.
Yeah, right.
The cheapest Bonny Doon is around $1000.
I did some research and found other jewelry press options, 
but none of them affordable.
So we started thinking outside the "jewelry tool" box.
We found a 12 ton shop press at Northern Tool.
It was on sale for 1/10 the price of a Bonny Doon.
Sold!
My husband put it together for me and immediately we started playing.


First with my small cutter and 26 gauge copper.
Then with my large cutter and 18 gauge copper.
Let me just say that cranking the jack is much easier than whacking.


Butter people.  
The cutters went through like a hot knife in butter.


Big Red may not be the prettiest tool in my workshop
but it is my newest love.
No more risk of hammering my much needed digits.
Now to shop for pancake dies.

What tools do you use that aren't considered "jewelry tools"?


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.