Texture


First, let me introduce myself.  My name is Izzy and I’m the newest member of the LMAJ team.  I’ve been doing the happy dance ever since I was asked to come on board.  Seriously, I’m so delighted to join such an amazing group of gifted women.  If you want to know a little more about me you are welcome to click on my bio link located over there on the left side.  Now, let’s get on with it...  Let’s talk about texture.

There are so many different types of texture.  You find it in music, photography, painting, sculpture, drawing, nature – just about everything around us.  Texture stimulates the sense of touch and its visual imagery inspires emotion and thought.  Patterns send messages of imagination to the brain or perhaps bring in memories of something wonderful.  Personally texture is what I love most about mixed media jewelry.  Not only can you incorporate mixed metals, but also throw in a bit of glass, fabric and/or clay, whatever your heart desires.  And the end result will be more than awesome.

So when I first noticed textured copper a few months back at my favorite copper store, to be honest, I was torn as to whether or not to buy.  A part of me felt a bit as though I was cheating because I didn't “create” that texture.  But my eyes were shouting “buy, buy, buy”.  Yeah, I could buy a rolling mill, and whew, throw down some serious cash, or just purchase this copper already textured.  It was a no brainer.


These lovely sheets have sat on a shelf for a while now and each time I sat down at my work bench I’d look over and say “maybe I’ll use you tomorrow”.  A few weeks ago these guys screamed out to me and demanded that I make them into something beautiful.  So I did.  Now I realize my reluctance was completely unfounded and I wish had picked them up sooner.  Love, love, love this copper!!  Each sheet is 24 gauge and once annealed it’s like working with paper.  Never again will I question my first instinct.  Especially when it’s something textured and I can create something this stunning.


“Texture is the most enduring and ubiquitous underpinning of form... certainly a calming, meditative and appealing world for both the eye and mind.”  ~Lynda Lehmann

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.