Finding Your Style....

by MaryAnn Carroll

Like many, I started off making jewelry before I began making handmade beads.  My desire to make beads stemmed from my desire to make my jewelry "different" than what I kept seeing over and over again in terms of common gemstones, strands of similar glass beads, etc.  Once I got start creating ceramic beads, I  primarily did just that due to my work schedule as a teacher.  I only made jewelry for gifts.  I have created beads and sold beads for the past 2 1/2 years, became very busy so I hired my son and daughter-in-law to keep me supplied with beads for me to glaze.  I taught them the basics to fit with the my style and then encourage them to evolve into their own style as well. 


Now, my latest endeavor is to find my style when creating jewelry.  Just like the bead making process, I am trying to find out what my style is.  Just like making beads, I went through many experiments regarding what I think "others" might like.  I finally found that what others liked the most were the beads that came the most natural to me.  That's why you will see all kinds of variety with my beads.  Very little planning goes into them when I sit down to glaze.  I just have it all out in front of me a pick up the brush and start going with it.

I'm now doing the same with jewelry.  I'm trying to just find my style.  I've decided that my style is what feels right for me... not what I "think" others will like.  So..... just like beads..... I'm experimenting with what I would like to wear.  I have always (even at 51) been into dressing stylish, but casual.....  Jeans dressed up by wearing shoes rather than sneakers, a nice shirt and, of course, jewelry.  I must admit that I haven't worn a dress is probably 10 years..... well.... maybe one or two times.... That's me.....  and that's where I'm heading with my jewelry.....  by just being me....

Here are a few very recent designs:






So.... What's you style and how did you find it?


Category Article , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.