It's begining to look a lot like Christmas..........

As I was decorating for Christmas this year, I realized something.  It was something I always knew really, so I guess I was actually reminded,....................I am surrounded by handmade.  I grew up on handmade, and its more of a tradition in my family then I realized. 

As we hung ornaments on the tree, there were ones I painted when I was little, and many my mom made for us through the years.  Of course, I also have the wonderful ornaments made by the kids, and all together, it makes for a lot of original artwork on my tree.  I will never have a tree that all matches or has a color scheme, it will always be filled with mis-matched ornaments made with love.

As I was hanging up the kids stockings, I looked at them in awe all over again.  My mother in law made each one ( in counted cross stitch) for them when they were born.  It took her a year to complete each one, and with every single stitch she added such love and devotion to her family.  I can't imagine a better gift for my babies first Christmas.


These are some little wooden toy soldiers that my dad cut out and my mom painted......
And here again, are some Santa's that my mother in law painted in ceramics.  I just love that she really handpicked ones that reflected things Justin and I love.  One has bird houses on his coat with birds, and another is a hippie santa with peace signs.  She also made us the tree with the little lights.  Such love goes into these things. The wooden angel was made by my parents.  They were such a team.  Mom would draw her plans, dad would cut it out for her and she would paint it!  Every year it was something new.


My mom made the wreathe below as well.  She actually started her creative journey doing flower arrangments.  I got to be alongside her as she took her journey through each and every art form and craft she learned.  (that is where my passion for art was born!)
And last but not least- my brother makes wonderful things like wine toppers and wine racks, shelves, headboards, and coat tree's (just to name a few things) from antiques.  These are a few wine toppers I got from him.  Two are old doorknobs and one is an old lock!  I love them.


The Star of Bethlehem that is hanging from the ceiling was from my best friends mom our first Christmas after we got married, and is handmade as well.

I guess sometimes I forget how drenched my life is with creativity.  I forget how meaningful handmade can be.  These things mean more to me then anything I've ever bought.  They were made with love.  They were made for my family.  What more can I say?

How about you?  Any favorite decorations or handmade items you'd like to share about this holiday season?


What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.