Beading the Heat: Go Mobile!

by Patty Lakinsmith

 A few months ago I started a system for beading that's working well for me.  I'm not one of those who cleans up after every beading session, and this system at least helps to contain the disaster.  A little.  I've started taking my jewelry assembly work mobile.  For me this usually means in front of the TV while the baseball game is on in the living room (Go Giants!  Beat the Phillies!).  I do my soldering and hammering and other messy and noisy stuff in my jewelry studio, but simple assembly and wirework can be done anywhere. 

It builds on the system of using the oblong black jewelry trays with the velvet liner pads.  I put everything I'll need to assemble a piece in the tray, and I can take it anywhere to work.  I keep separate trays for my work in antiqued brass and silver, and only include the supplies I'll need to make a particular style.  I'll grab a set of lampwork beads or some focals, a tray, some gemstones, and my round divided container that contains things I use often - seamless rounds in several sizes, daisy spacers, crimp beads, etc.  It makes it very easy for me to "riff" on certain themes and produce a number of pieces using the same theme, colors, and components.  It's also not too messy and can be easily set aside when necessary.  Since I started storing my gemstones in clear plastic divided boxes, sorted by color families, it makes it easier to find things.  Could it be that I am finally organized?  Weeelllll, I wouldn't go that far, but I feel like it might be a good start.

We have been fortunate here in the San Francisco Bay area not to be suffering with the oppressive heat the rest of the country has, but on warmer days or just those where I want a change of scenery, I like to head outside to my new favorite shady spot.  My mom and I recently refinished this loveseat that her dad built years ago, and it's on the deck under an arbor thick with wisteria, and surrounded by fragrant jasmine.  I do my best gardening on the deck in pots, where my treasures are safe from predators and more regularly loved, and it's wonderful to soak up all of that inspiration Mother Nature serves up every single day.

How about you?  How has the heat affected your creative work?  Have you found a clever way to beat the heat?


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.