"Call to Create"

by Barbara Lewis
Have you ever stopped to think, "How is it I got involved in making jewelry?  Do I have talent? Should I continue making jewelry even though it doesn't sell as fast as I would like?"  I remember talking to my first art professor about doubting my "talent."  He said, "Talent is the need to create!"  I found that so freeing ... because there was no doubt that I had the need.  I had been sewing since I was 12 years old and now I was working with a new medium.

My favorite quote, and one that has kept me in good stead, is by Martha Graham, the inventor of modern dance:

There is a force, an energy, a quickness, that is translated through you into action.
If you block it, the world will not have it.
You do not have to believe in yourself or your work.
It is not your business to compare yourself with others. It is your business to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you,
to keep the channel open.

It's a "calling" really.  To deny it is to deny God's gift.  How are we to know whether or how our work may impact another ... what joy will another derive from it. We at Love My Art Jewelry have been inspired by the Art Bead Scene monthly challenges.  Personally, there have been many times that the challenge gave me the impetus to give a little extra so that I could participate.  Even when I thought there was no way to add another thing to my plate, I did.  Thank you, ABS.

Today, Love My Art Jewelry announces "Call to Create," which will be based on a selection from Pantone's color chart. Remember, your work needs to FEATURE handmade elements. Here's how it operates:
  • Weekly we will select an artist to highlight based on photos submitted to our flickr group.  Your work will be highlighted in the sidebar for the week, which we can link to whatever site you choose.
  • Monthly we will randomly draw a winner from our flickr group. Your work will be featured in our sidebar for the month and on an entire page at our website devoted to you, the monthly winner!  Links will be made to whatever site you select.
  • Donors of handmade beads and components will be honored in a sidebar ad with a link to your shop. We want to reinforce our conviction to our slogan: Creating Handmade with Handmade.  

So, here comes the fun part!  Color, color, and more color!  A beautiful palette of rich colors that have been grayed down for the Fall.  November 1 ... it all begins!  



The winner will receive all of the beads that were used in my necklace, "Autumn Bliss," which appears on the cover of Handcrafted Jewelry, just released.  I'm not saying you have to recreate Autumn Bliss, but you're welcome to if you'd like.  Please pass the word ... we'd appreciate it. 





Category Article , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.