Inspiration

I'm often asked, where does your inspiration for a piece come from?
Where do you get your ideas?
How long does it take to make a piece?
Do you sketch out ideas before you make your pieces? (psh... ha!)
Do you make your own components?

Yes, I have started making my own components, or using those of other artists. The true beauty and originality of a piece, I believe, is in the sum of it's parts. For instance, tonight, getting ready for yet another art show this weekend, I need to crank out quite a few pieces. There are no sketches, no pre-conceived notions, no ideas running through my head. All the inspiration I need is in the beautiful beads and components I have amassed.
And let me tell you, there is QUITE a mass!! ;0)

(... a mass of Mary Ann Carroll beads, a mass of MissFickleMedia components, a mass of ......... well... I could go on all night !)

Tonight I picked out the one pendant in the center, by Mary Ann Carroll. It's a beauty, huh?
That one piece, alone, inspired me. I immediately saw it with antiqued copper, then this beautiful copper leaf jumped out at me. It's actually a real leaf, dipped in copper. (perfect for fall, huh?) I picked out a few other beads,
and knew I would want it paired with a thick, natural, leather cord.
 I added in some of my own hammered, oxidized components, and voila!
A necklace was created!!!
I really like how this turned out!!
Sometimes, I think we try way too hard to MAKE something artistic and wonderful happen. I do it sometimes too. But, when I find myself struggling, I put those beads back in the box, and pick out a new one to work with. I let the beads and components speak to me, and usually end up with something I'm thrilled with in the end.

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.