Selling to a Gallery or Shop

I don't know about you but sometimes this jewelry making stuff can be addictive! No matter what medium you are in there are always supplies, tools, and fun stuff that you must have. Soon you are thinking to yourself, ahhhh I have got to start selling this stuff.

Besides Etsy, Ebay or your own website many people sell to Gallerys and Boutique shops. The problem is how to do it.

For me one of the best ways was to WEAR your creations. If I was on vacation and wandered into a cute gallery the staff would sometimes comment on my jewelry. I would let them know that I make my living by selling my jewelry and if they are interested I could make an appointment to speak to the owner. 
One of my first pieces I sold to a Gallery


This happened enough times that I started to travel with a couple pieces and all my information. 
So here is what you need to do:

1) Package your pieces nicely, not in plastic bags but wrapped in nice tissue paper and a organza bag.

2) Know your price point. Many times a Gallery will take 40 to 50% of the final price so know how much you need to make a profit. What is the bottom line you need to make and price it from there.

3) If the Gallery is going to buy outright and wants to know your wholesale price, make sure you figure that out. Many artists will make a minimum amount, such as $250-$500 for wholesale. 

4) Make an inventory list, one for yourself and one for the Gallery. Some Galleries have their own inventory lists so make sure they match up.  

5) Make sure you have a business card!

Good Luck and get out there!

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.