From Porcelain to Wood-fired...

MaryAnn Carroll

Often times, we forget that buttons can be used in our creative jewelry designs. These fabulous designs were shared with me by Karen Park. In two of her three designs shown here she used my porcelain buttons to complete her very unique beaded bracelets. The bead work is amazing. I love these and wanted to share them.


 

To see more of Karen's work you can visit her 



And.... one of my most exciting times of the year is when my husband Bill is getting ready to stoke up the wood-fire kiln. I am so grateful that I am able to have this experience. I am also grateful that I am not the one out there all day (often in the cold) when he is firing. I do visit him and bring food, but I know if it weren't for him this is not something I would do on my own. I admire those that do. The work that goes into this process is amazing as are the results of what comes out of the kiln. With him retiring from 33 years of teaching art in the Syracuse City School District, he will finally now be able to do what he loves.... pottery, painting, wood-working and I'm sure he will find that there are many artistic ventures that he will partake in.

Here are some pictures of my beads mixed in with some very awesome pottery. The kiln will not be opened until tomorrow so this is the closest we could get for now. The grayish colors that you see on the beads are ash from the wood. Once removed from the bead trees, I'm sure what will be seen is a mix of gorgeous colors created with the glaze as well as a mix of ash. Clicking on any of these pictures will offer you a closer look at the beauty of wood-fire.





The picture below shows the backs of a few beads that have very little ash effect, but will have some.


The kiln...


And... before you head off to another blog, please remember to check back today to see if you won the earrings giveaway. The winner will be posted on the side bar.


To see more of Bill's work and learn more about wood-firing, you can visit his website SplitfirePottery.

As always,

Thank-you for supporting those who create handmade with handmade.


Category Article , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.