YOJ Week 5-Embroidered Cuff



The theme for week 5 was the Bronze Age. When I did some research on jewelry of the bronze age, I found that they were pretty accomplished jewelers and used techniques such as filigree, granulation, repoussee, and lost wax casting. Since I can't do any of that stuff, I just went back to wire. The basis for this cuff is from a tutorial by Julie Sigmund of jewliebeads. Then I was further inspired by Perri's Week 4 piece to up the ante on the embellishments. I found out that it's harder to do than it looks without distorting the weave underneath. The cuff is made of copper and the coiling is 30 gauge silver. I used a large labrodorite bead in the center and tiny apatite and peridot beads for the embellishment.


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.